Measured Response, by Research Wonks
Measured Response, Ep 3: Forrester's VanBoskirk, GroupM's Wieser, Wpromote's Mothner
"The half hour that's not wasted." (43 minutes, in this case)
This podcast series about advertising measurement focuses Episode 3 on Ad Planning Post-Pandemic.
Host Rick Bruner, longtime advertising analyst, is joined by friends old and new:
- Shar VanBoskirk, VP & Principal Analyst, Forrester Research (guest co-host)
- Brian Wieser, Global President of Business Intelligence, GroupM
- Michael Mothner, Founder & CEO, Wpromote
Our expert panelists discuss what the rollercoaster of the advertising economy in the wake of the pandemic means for what will become permanent fixtures of media planning and what will be passing anomalies. Key takeaways include:
- Business transformation is hyper-charged and here to stay. The pandemic's shock to consumer buying behaviors gave lie to the preparedness of traditional distribution and heritage brands' direct-to-consumer strategies, accelerating e-commerce and related business strategies forever
- Media strategies for the largest global advertisers are driven by a range of competing priorities, including local market competitive dynamics, data availability, longer-term business objectives and other factors maybe more importantly than relative media ROI in many cases
- On a global basis, media decisions for large brands are more likely being controlled by local market leadership based on in-market conditions more so than by global strategy lead by uniform planning tools, for example, was the consensus of the panel, in response to a question from our sponsor, SMI (Standard Media Index).
Regular co-host Stefan Tornquist took this one off and will be back soon.